Thursday, March 19, 2009

Do You Ever Have One of Those Days . . .

. . . when everything feels right in your life?


* * * * *

A day when . . .


. . . you love the way your curly locks fall across your smooth brow.

. . . your dream of a little orchard comes to life as the bareroots of an apricot, apple, cherry, plum, and pluot sink into the fertile soil of your own land.

. . . your husband smiles and tells you your latest whole wheat cookie creation is fantastic (you smile doubly wide knowing you ground the flour yourself).

. . . your children laugh and giggle in the sunshine as they clean every fountain of winter’s grimy touch and spring’s scummy explosion.

* * * * *

Later when you run out into the sunshine and freshness of an afternoon in the gardens you find that the “rightness” has found its way out there too.


You marvel to find . . .


. . . a single bud of your favorite narcissus (Poet's Eye) peeking out shyly ahead of the rest.


. . . Magnolias Jane and Leonard Meissel rushing to greet you on your waltz around the gardens.


. . . that beauty of a red camellia has finally put out a blossom after being transplanted last fall.


. . . that daffodil that you thought was named Aria (but was actually called Ara) looks as if it is singing an aria (and surely should have been named Aria all along).


. . . a lonely snowman stands amidst the faded blossoms of winter’s dance, which must now go to the compost as the little snowman nestles back into the closet to await an invite to attend next winter’s commencement.



* * * * *

As the sun sinks low, she sighs, breathing deeply and inhaling the beauty of fresh damp joy. She whispers, “What a good day . . . thank you,” to the Giver of all good things.


* * *
It is a good thing to give thanks unto the Lord,
And to sing praises unto thy name

Psalm 92:1


11 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh. Just..... Oh! You are truly blessed, and I can almost feel the spring sunshine and smell the flowers. Pure bliss.

Becky said...

What a lovely walk through your garden. Poetry in motion captured in still life.

Werna Gail said...

I will bless the Lord at all times, His praise shall continually be in my mouth, I will make my boast in thee Lord, the humble shall hear and be glad. Your post always seem to bring the Word formost in my thoughts,so refreshing to the soul, love all the pretty flowers.

Kat said...

Yes! I love those days when everything is sunshine and roses!
God is GOOD! :)

Beautiful post. Again. :)

dawn klinge said...

I love those kind of days. Your garden looks gorgeous.

Joyce said...

Thank you for sharing the beauties of a grateful spirit. <3

The little sock dolly at the end looks like the toys my now-grown girls used to enjoy making for themselves as huggy toys. So cute!

Sharon Goemaere said...

Lovely post! :-)Blessings~Sharon

Flea said...

Your magnolias and camellia are lovely! I arrived home late last night - time to dash out and see what bloomed while I was gone! Nothing compared to your beautiful garden, though. :)

Anonymous said...

No, I can't say I have a lot of days like that. And you ground the flour yourself...oh my word.

Rhondi said...

I haven't had a day like that in a long time, but I will still sing praises to the Lord!

Karen Deborah said...

I love the Rachel dolly! Matter of fact I love Rachel, if you are having such a great time you can share the joy, please ship daughters.