Tuesday, March 24, 2009

At Play in the Garden


“Oh dear!” She stops abruptly as she exits the cottage. “My friends will find no greeting or friendly chat these days, as I am wont to dash out into the springtime gardens at every available moment.”

She knows that the day will end around the table sharing a meal amidst the eager chatter of all who gleefully spill about this garden discovery or that budding project. Well, it doesn’t end there as all clamor for just a wee bit more outside time. “The dishes can wait,” they lobby (her included) and then flee the cottage confines for just a bit longer as the lately setting sun nods off.

Those final moments of evening will be spent nestled near the fire deep in conversation with George Washington and Thomas Jefferson regarding gardens, or maybe George Washington Vanderbilt and Henry E. Huntington and their beloved projects, with pauses for time with Wendell Berry sharing from deep within the Kentucky lands of his youth. Oh my! Time passes so swiftly that bedtime approaches long before she can gather her thoughts and carry them to the computer for sharing.

“Alas . . . blogging in springtime has proven far more challenging than expected,” she muses as she continues to navigate her neophyte year of blogging. The desire to waltz through the Lilliputian orchard newly dug, or tiptoe through the berry dell, or even sit atop a bench dreaming of the Colonial vegetable patch has swooped in and captivated all available hours. There remains little time for opening the box and logging on.

With a sigh she gathers gloves and straw-brimmed protection and scampers out to the greening world of wonders. “Later I’ll make some time for . . .” she calls over her shoulder as she trails off amongst the violets shyly dancing at her feet.

16 comments:

kylie said...

spring is a beautiful time. enjoy it. there is always time to blog later.......

lovely new header you have there

xo

gail said...

Hello Debbie,

How lovely to be able to get out into your garden. As the say "Go for it" ,. I just love those violets. We'll be waiting for you when you open up your computer next time. Till then enjoy the sunshine and all that beauty that God has surrounded you with.

Blessings Gail.

dawn klinge said...

Enjoy your time spent outdoors on these beautiful springtime days! It sounds like you're reading some wonderful books as well lately.

skywind said...

I like you photos, they are filled with a breath of spring. :)
Health information
Humor & Fun World

Karen Deborah said...

awh but even on the run the excitement and joy are communicated and shared. The pfft of a breeze and in that quick moment I have been right beside you taking it all in.
Blog quickly and be off, and I thank you for the sweet little visit.

farmlady said...

I know what you're doing out there. Forget about the house and the blogging. It will all be there when we get back. Right now the earth is calling us..., to dig, to plant and to waltz through the garden and breath the wonder that is Spring.

Full of Grace said...

I am loving the lushness your blog tempts me with as I visit. Here in NY everything is still brown, muddy, and mostly cold. You remind me that beauty is just around the corner :)

Kathy said...

We also are busily enjoying this season. Our gardens and orchards are new and so exciting. I love to see your lovely gardens.

Anonymous said...

Oh ... more spring flowers for me to envy. ;) Sounds like you are full into spring already. Hopefully we are not far behind you..
Patricia

Karen Deborah said...

The Bosch mixer goes into the dishwasher no pain at all. My K Tec was also a very good mixer and actually mixed more slowly. The slower the mixer operates the better the dough turns out. I can add up to 16 cups of flour in the Bosch. It's really great. Did you see the sourdough bread site that I added to my blogroll?

Unknown said...

oh......

just.....

oh.....

*sigh*

can I come for tea in the garden?

FancyHorse said...

Lovely pictures. Have fun!

Flea said...

It's only been a year, eh? Your violets sure are pretty. Enjoy the outdoors while it's spring and new!

Sit-N-Chat said...

I have been doing little blogging. So many tasks are trumpeting to me. My mom gets to come home in the morning and I will go help her a bit but I must be about the last two days before a party in the back yard. I do not have the kind of gardens you do. The pictures I've seen look like you are in the woods. I am sure you grow many more varieties than we in the drylands of Texas. I drove to the airport to meet my son who flew in for the retirement party. I saw some greener pastures. Is the yellow shrub a forsythia? I have a forsythia that is breaking out in yellow. The Lord has blessed me with a few blooms in the yard and I appreciate it.
I think I have some of the violets, too.
I will probably get to have more time to gather thought and enjoy writing them after this weekend. And I hope to get to read more. I am excited.

Jennifer

skywind said...

Beautiful garden is a paradise for kids to play. :)
Health information
Humor & Fun World

Karen Deborah said...

What kind of bush is the first picture? where will it grow?