Monday, September 15, 2008

Time Travel with Rachel


We gathered teapot and breakfast before stepping outside to share a feast on the new deck. No railings yet, so we limited ourselves to eating and not twirling and dancing in celebration. Rachel ran upstairs and brought down her boom-box and filled the air with classical refreshment to accompany our meal. As the leaves danced in the gentle breeze our conversation bloomed. We chatted about the maple seed pods that pirouetted like whirling butterflies, the tufted grasses that swayed rhythmically, and the birdsong in all its varieties. Then, as Rachel is wont to do, her mind flew at warp speed and entered a new dimension taking the conversation (and me) along with it.

"You know, I used to think that there were little people playing instruments inside the speakers."

I pause mid bite, "Really ... hmmmm ..."

"Yeah, that was before I learned about electricity. Did you know lightening is a good source of electricity, but it's too powerful for us to harness? See that light up there?"

I look up gingerly.

"If lightening struck there it would blow all the power in this house instantly."

I gulp and gaze at the crystal-clear sky, silently uttering a prayer of thanksgiving.

"You know, I used to think electricity was just around in the air and it just powered up where we needed it. Then I realized that it has to be captured and fed through a series of wires that come into our house and power up our appliances and stuff. We can get it from many sources. I even made some electricity with a hand crank in my room."

" . . . more tea?" I offer, while making a mental note to visit her in her bedroom/laboratory real soon.

*****

Later in the day I gird myself with strength and approach Rachel's wondrous room -- a huge expanse the size of our oversize garage, which it sits atop. Referred to as a "bonus" room by the realtor, it suits our "bonus" child perfectly, and serves as home to many delightful books, stuffed toys, beautiful artwork, and INVENTIONS!!!! Many an unsuspecting visitor has been assailed by a robotic greeter, a towering menace made of bricks/blocks/lego/junk, or the remnants of the latest work-in-progress which lay ALL OVER THE FLOOR. She's amazing . . . she's messy . . . she's just like her father (and I love them both dearly, but their junk is another story).

With caution I crossed the threshold . . .



. . . and discovered some "research."


While doodling she has explored a variety of scientific avenues. I nod approvingly, until I happen upon the equation H2O + -20F = ice.

"Rachel," I interrupt her in another sector of her lab, "Water turns to ice at 32F."

"I know," she replies matter-of-factly, "And it will turn to ice at -20F also."

I pause . . . I shrug.

"Sweetie, you misspelled 'copper' and 'bronze.'"

She shrugs.

* * * * *

I look over at the next experimental log and react in horror!


"What on earth??? Is this man being electrocuted? Is this a Dr. Frankenstein invention?" I gasp.

Rachel, giggling in her inimitable nine-year-old way burst out, "NO MOM! HA HA HA! That's a man traveling to the future in a time-travel machine."

More laughter rings out as she shakes her head and returns to the pile of wires, tools, bits of cloth, and colored pencils.

I peer at her over the ocean of "research materials." I glance back at the man selecting to vacation to another eon. I slowly back out of the room. I wander back down the halls to my sitting room and reassure myself that the carpets have not sustained scorching, the clean laundry I placed on her bed recently has found its way into the proper drawers and . . . WAIT-- I didn't check for certain about the laundry. Maybe she simply beamed them to a galaxy far, far away!

I shrug. I'd rather lose a skort and top than my beloved baby girl.

Then it hits me . . . she's not a baby girl anymore!

* * * * *

And so I continue down the hallway wondering when we left the "instruments-inside-the-speaker" world and ended up in the "laundry-could-be-galaxies-far-far-away" world?

It all seems like magic to me. One blink and **POOF** baby Rachel vanished and a scientist appeared before my very eyes!

* * * * *

Later, I find her latest sculpy creation down on the kitchen counter . . .

. . . time travel or magic? Around here . . . one can never be sure. ; )

* * * * *

"Sorrow Song" composed and performed by Rachel



*Note: All artwork, musical composition, and scientific theories created by and shown courtesy of Rachel.

20 comments:

Becky said...

Debbie! Wow... amazing... incredible... Sorrow Song is beautiful and so is the mind of that extraordinary young lady. I love her inventions and experiments and pictures. I would love to be a fly on her wall for one day. Give her a big hug (and a high five)from me.

Going to listen to Sorrow Song one more time. :-D

P.S. I love you too my dear sister! Thank you. :-)

Anonymous said...

wow!

As a fellow pianist, her talent is amazing! I've been playing for over 20 years, and I still can't compose anything that would come close to that! I am indeed quite jealous. She has a special gift, and one that I'm sure you and your family will keep nurturing for many, many years - something she should never, ever give up!

Just amazing.

Peter

Karen said...

She's 9?! My goodness, what an amazing daughter you've got there. Because I have never "gotten" science I don't know half the stuff that she's into. You've got a very special girl on your hands there.

And don't think that I didn't notice the Woody doll on the shelf. :)

Full of Grace said...

I am in awe of Rachel and her song. She has a brilliant mind from all I've read and now heard from her! Samuel was sitting on my lap listening to her song and told me he would like to play piano someday just like her.

You should be very proud of your baby girl(because no matter how old she becomes she will always be your baby) and beautiful young lady!!!

Laura ~Peach~ said...

WONDERFUL ~~ record more of you playing for us Rachel~ I love the piano and when I can get my son to sit still long enough he will play me a tune. What a wonderful mind! thanks for sharing it with us!
Happy MONDAY!

Laura ~Peach~ said...

WONDERFUL ~~ record more of you playing for us Rachel~ I love the piano and when I can get my son to sit still long enough he will play me a tune. What a wonderful mind! thanks for sharing it with us!
Happy MONDAY!

CONNIE said...

YOUr daughter is so amazing! I can read music and know my finger placements on the keyboard but that's about it. She played her very own composition flawlessly. I couldn't help listening to it twice.

Science and Math are my weaknesses... just cannot comprehend them. You did an excellent job with your kids, Debbie!

I'm home today. We had a very wet weekend and today turned out so sunny. I took another leave of absence from work and I will drive Joe to a nearby lake.

Grandma Tillie's Bakery said...

Too bad we don't live closer--Rachel is the kind of kid I like my daughter being around! I love seeing how her mind is open to creating and nobody has stamped it down into submission to the "rules" of how things should be. Good job Mom and Dad!

FancyHorse said...

Oh, wonderful! I loved "Sorrow Song" watching and listening to her play. What an amazing young lady she is! Science and music both! She has quite a future ahead of her. I know you are a proud mom!

sukipoet said...

I feel like I'll just be repeating others' accolades. Rachel is amazing. So bright and...inventive and creative. I loved "Sorrow song." And am amazed. A well told story too by Miss Debbie.....thanks for sharing your world. Love the new deck too.

Anonymous said...

She is priceless and I'm all about girls and science. While I hold degrees in English and Science I have to say the science fascinated me more than ever! Love her.

Karen Deborah said...

OMG Aunt Nannie is just a boo hoo-ing with pride and joy at the baby genius. I love her song! Was there some sorrow in particular that inspired her, or was she imagining? Tell her if she figures out how time travel works to puhleeeze leave a note first and we can all know where she went.
hugs and kisses xxxxxooooooo

um and if she would like to invent a new way to get electricity the whole world would like to know.

Skoots1moM said...

what a great little sculptress she is...i love working with clay.

come to my site...i have some pics of my latest flowers...yours are beautiful!

kylie said...

hi there debbie,
i had to laugh when i saw your warning not to come here today, i already had :)

and i love to see a girl who is into science....
and books.....

i'm no muso but of course thats good too!

go girl!!

Anonymous said...

Dear Debbie. Rachel is a keeper. She was also the one with those funny videoa from her just before sleeping-time some time ago, wasn't she?

I am totally charmed. Give her a hug from me :-)

MamaGeek @ Works For Us said...

WOWZA. You seriously have a budding artist on your hand. I have to admit, I too, thought that was someone in the electric chair at first - ha!

*poof*

And now she's all grown up. sorta. :)

imbeingheldhostage said...

Wow Debbie-- she's BRILLIANT. Just wow.
A girl into science and musically gifted, look out world!
Magical post :-)

CIELO said...

What a lovely lovely post.... I love Rachel! Thank YOU both for transporting me with you to another dimension in time.... May the sun shine upon you today and always....

Love

cielo

Unofficial Unruh Report said...

WOW!!!
I am speechless!
love you!

Niall MacC said...

Great post, am so glad you blogg and I read! Is this the same girl who had such fun with a video camera one late night in her bedroom!!!!

Of course she is still your baby, and will remain one until the first grand child comes along!!!