Monday, September 22, 2008

Fall Has Come . . .



Hello my dear friends,

I have returned from my San Diego adventure and found it spilling over with sun and fun and the "holiday delight" that Lydia and I so eagerly sought. I have oodles of pictures to upload, download, sort, crop, review, and choose. So, I daresay it will be a day or two before the travelogue arrives for you to enjoy.

In the meantime, I have found definite proof that Autumn plans to visit us here in Northern California. Despite the warm temps and floriferous riot of roses and such blanketing my gardens, the ripening of fruit and turning of leaves has begun. However, while so many of you have pulled out the woolies and placed a pot of soup on the stove, we have returned to the warm gardens for laughing and dancing and relishing the cooling trend that often feels like a second spring. The garden responds with blossoms and fragrance rivalling June days.

So I leave off with a pic of a pick from our wild pears . . .


. . . And the forethinking duties of a gardener that must have color and fragrance in the dull days of winter. (Though they be ever so short a spate by many a standard, the dark days of winter lighten up for me when suffused with the scent of a Delft Blue hyacinth blooming in my frosted windowsill.)



* * * * *

As for pics from the San Diego trip:

I shall supply just a nibble . . .


. . . And a peek.


Farewell for today, my sweet friends. I must run through the gardens, gather a big bouquet of roses for the table, accompany Rachel to piano lessons, and end with a jaunt through the market for some fresh vegetables and such as we prepare to feast en pleine air on this first day of Autumn.

Happy Autumnal Equinox!

10 comments:

imbeingheldhostage said...

feasting en pleine air-- how could you be any more eloquent? welcome back, enjoy your garden!

Kathy said...

Glad you are home safely and had a good weekend with the birthday girl.

Flea said...

The pears look delicious. While I love the idea of roses year round, I'm so happy to have moved to cool, crisp falls, complete with turning leaves, and snow in winter. REALLY hoping to be able to build a snowman this year! Hee!

FancyHorse said...

The pears look delicious. Your cat seems impatient to enjoy the sweet, colorful blooms. I love the peek through that window. If you're on Flickr, I have a group I'd like you to post that in.

Anonymous said...

I love San Diego, so much cooler in temp than here! Beautiful photos and let's hope for a chill in the air soon!

Becky said...

Ahhhh... I also enjoy this time when the night air becomes chilly and the afternoon sun actually feels good on my face. I'm glad you had a fun trip. Going to do some leaf rubbings later :-) Happy Fall!

CONNIE said...

FALL is finally here! I took the BF for a ride to get his dose of fresh air and what a perfect 1st day of fall it was. It was chilly enough to put on a sweatshirt.

Looking forward for more b-day pics and the wild pears look delish.

Grandma Tillie's Bakery said...

I am happy to hear you are back safe and had a wonderful trip! I eagerly await the beautiful pics...

CIELO said...

I'll run through the gardens with you and help you gather a lovely bouquet of roses for your table... but hurry, Fall is at the garden door and soon our beautiful roses will slumber under autumn's spell... :)

Hugs

cielo

Niall MacC said...

Yea, Summer has finally come to Ireland!!! Well, a sunny Autumn perhaps!

We have had the wettest July, Aug & Sept on record and these past 6 days have been sunny and a little warm.

I am here in my sitting room looking in on my new friends with a lovely fire at my back.

Soon, I will make my son and myself a hot drink, sit in my rocker, knit and enjoy the fire some more!

God bless.

Ruth