Friday, January 30, 2009

A Friday Funny



Each night as the children retire to bed they take their latest book-friend with them and read a spell before turning out the lights. Many a childhood classic has shared the pillow with one who drifts off in the midst of a good tale.

Of late, Rachel has taken to reading the American Medical Association's Encyclopedia of Medicine. Daily we receive assurances that in the event of an emergency situation she stands at the ready -- the latest offer being to perform the delivery of a baby here at home. I smiled warmly and assured her that we would surely have no need for that. (She seemed unconvinced and remains vigilant.)

Last night as our family engaged in a rousing game of Phase 10, I made mention of a cauliflower ear and Rachel immediately piped up to inform me of the intricate process of developing just such an ailment. Smiling again, I thanked her for the detailed information and continued to play the game (albeit with an added bit of queasiness).

As the play intensified, Gary continually amused us with the furrowing of his brow as he studied his handful of cards and dithered over potential moves.

"Dad," gasped Elizabeth, "Don't do that, you're gonna need Botox if you keep it up."

I chimed in, "Your forehead may stick that way!"

The furrowing continued, as did the Botox banter.

"You're gonna have a Botox problem if you keep it up . . ."

Finally Lydia shouted out, "What's Botox?"

To which Rachel quietly murmured, "It's your bottom."

Laughter erupted and Rachel said, "What? I read about it . . . "

"That's buttocks, not Botox," we all chimed in amidst hearty laughter and a blush from our budding physician.

* * *
I believe it is time to get an updated medical encyclopedia . . . ours is from '89 and doesn't contain a single reference to Botox.

10 comments:

Kat said...

Hahaha! That is just too cute!

I used to LOVE reading my parent's medical dictionary when I was a kid. I remember being horrified by the pictures of the measles and mumps pictures. ;)

Anonymous said...

Priceless! My daughter used to love reading the phone book. I know I know.. but she loved it!

Flea said...

Bwahahaha! That's great! I love it when the kids read so much and don't know pronunciations. It's a beautiful thing. Like Botox.

Anonymous said...

Oh yeah, don't leave her in the dark about Botox...you know they Botox parties now. Tupperware and Pampered Chef is out...sticking needles in your forehead, lips and cheeks all while drinking wine with your girlfriends is in! Ha!

sukipoet said...

Thank you so much for this lighthearted story. I needed that. Tell Rachel I received her lovely card and thank you note. So sweet of you Rachel. Thanks. Blessings, Suki

dawn klinge said...

Ha! :) That's so funny!

Sharon Goemaere said...

Loved this!!!Especially that picture!!!Thanks for the chuckle.Love~Sharon

Becky said...

I think I have my dad's copy of ABCs of the Human Body memorized. And reassure Rachel that I have heard buttocks pronounced beautox many times... sounds close enough to me. ;-)

Naturegirl said...

Out of mouths of babes! A family that plays together stays together I think as I read this post!Perhaps Rachel will become the family physician.

"Create Beauty" said...

Oh that is soooo funny!