Friday, October 10, 2008

Oh Come to the Sylvan Ball

{I dedicate this blog post to my Faerie Friend, Cielo, who lives through the blogwoods over at The House in the Roses. She has blessed me abundantly and has plenty to share with everyone. Come along, take my hand, and I will show you the way to her Hopeful Friday celebration.}




* * * * *
* * *

Fairy Elves,
Whose midnight revels, by a forest side
Or fountain, some belated peasant sees,
Or dreams he sees, while overhead the moon
Sits arbitress.

~~John Milton~~
Paradise Lost
Book 1, line 742


As softly fades the light of day I hear a familiar rustle in the woods. With myriad duties to attend before night’s end, I wrestle with the urge to follow the sound into the gentle surrounds. Another sound draws near my ear and I flee the deck and follow in pied-piper fashion.

Down the path and around the bend,
Under the light of a full gathering moon,
I find further invite to evening’s event.
I stand on the threshold of careless disregard for hearth and home needs, yet close my eyes and whisper softly:

“Backward, turn backward, O Time in your flight,
Make me a child again, just for to-night!”*

I plunge through the thicket under watchful eyes of an on-looking moon, as dulcet trills of evensong bid me enter the Sylvan Ball.
That rustle that once seemed certain to be but fallen leaves, proves well to be the taffeta- and silk-clad ladies as they scurry to meet up on the dance floor and celebrate the ending of another blissful day.

Full of ruffles and rainbow’d hues they sway and glide and wink from behind foliage polished and bright.








Full-bloomed faces laugh in the face of the growing shadows,
As shy fresh buds step forward to join the assembly of woodland’s fairest.


Small choruses chime in with glee, And others wave lest they be forgotten. Shy ones peep demurely.
Some shrink back,
Whilst others surround themselves with a host of familiar ones and step to center stage.
This humble fellow donned his finest of velvet and boldly joins the festivities
alongside the pristine beauty of those in bride-like splendor.


Flourished and fancy, so many dance about.



Why even the tiniest clad in weeds oft-rejected finds welcome in this spritely gathering.

Like dancing princesses in tales by brothers Grimm, these sylvan dwellers dance to tunes embedded deep in the heart of all children. I count it all joy to have stepped back from the hearth, ducked under the fig, and crept ‘round the bend to fall headlong into this childish delight. I danced ‘til my slippers wept rents, and at the final resting tone I stole back through the verdant curtain and plunged into the sudsy waters of kitchen care . . . yet, humming a tune of Sylvan revelry and dreaming of my next dancing chance.


* * * * *


*from “Rock Me to Sleep”
By Elizabeth Akers Allen
(1832-1911)

**All photos taken in my garden.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Debbie.
Are all these wonderful photos from your garden right now? You must have so many roses. Ever counted?

I loved the garden walk with you, to see the photos through your words and though your camera.

We are back to quite nice days again after the snow flakes last week-end, and my garden is enjoying it. This afternoon we are heading out to our cabin to see if there are any roses left there, and to enjoy the autumn colours.

kylie said...

hi debbie,
i just had to tell you that i found the little outburst in your last post quite refreshing. you have a beautiful blog, uplifting and full of gratitude but a bit of steam blowing out the ears is reassuring for those of us who get antsy at times :)

have a splendiferous weekend
k

Bab's Kitchen said...

Thank you I am motivated to go and work on my garden. It was a beautiful walk.

Victoria Lynn said...

Debbie,
Thank you for stopping by and for your kind and encouraging words. I enjoyed the walk through the beautiful garden, especially the roses! Is this your beautiful garden? I could just stay there all afternoon...Have a blessed weekend, Victoria Lynn

MARIA said...

Beautiful post
and beautiful dedication for our beautiful friend Cielo!

Thank you for sharing this amazing pics.
Have a blessing weekend!

CIELO said...

My soul sings in your garden, hidden away from the sorrows of this world I am here by your side... I hear crickets chirring amidst the foliage, the trees are sanctuaries, See how nature--trees, flowers, grass--grows in silence; see the stars, the moon, how they move in silence... we are connecting once again to our sanctified heritage.

Thank you Debbie for this amazing post. Each day is a day that God has given us, and each moment of that day is in His hands...

I love you....

cielo

Full of Grace said...

Your pictures are stunning! :) Did you take the one of the moon yourself! Simply Gorgeous- all of them :)

Anonymous said...

Wow, I am smiling from ear to ear. Those photos are so beautiful. Fabulous job and lovely text. Cielo understands this kind of beauty with words and visuals. Thank you for sharing your amazing post today.

Love, Jeanne

marine's words said...

Thank you Debbie for you comment that means the world to me coming from a degree like yours ") God bless you, marina

Virginia said...

Whether sixty or sixteen, there is in every human being's heart the lure of wonder, the unfailing child-like appetite of what's next, and the joy of the game of living. In the center of your heart and my heart there is a wireless station; so long as it receives messages of beauty, hope, cheer, courage and power from men and from the infinite, so long are you young.
Blessings, Virginia

Anonymous said...

Your garden is beautiful! I enjoyed reading your post. I hope you have a happy evening.

Anonymous said...

That's so sweet of you dedicated to Cielo....Had a wonderful peaceful walk through your garden. Lovely and smells so pleasant. Thanks you....I'm adding you to my blog list...You have a wonderful weekands...Katherinellen

Anonymous said...

Hello,
This is my first visit/comment to your beautiful place. Such a beautiful dedication to Cielo.

Hugs,
Linda in Georgia
(Gutren@aol.com)