Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Pussy Cat, Pussy Cat, Where Have You Been?



Well, my dear friends, I have been away from the blogs for a fair piece (returning soon to see what you have been up to in my prolonged absence), but I haven't been to see The Queen or even a lowly jester. Instead, I have been about the business of treasure hunting . . . for true wealth, as can only be found in the memories made in each passing day.

With Autumn still about two weeks away from her official debut, the welcoming coolness of these late, late Summer days has paved the way for coming away from the fans and back out into the gardens for fun and work and a host of other activities.



Around here we choose to mix up work and play,
Evidenced here in the building of a treehouse


For one happy girl (and dad, too, I see),

Who will lie back and gaze at this wondrous site.

Not one to enjoy wielding a hammer or saw,
Miss Lydia prefers to run amongst the flowers and trees.
These sweet days offer no finer opportunity
To dance among the trees


Finding flowers laden with unexpected gifts,
Like this Praying Mantis Maiden
Coyly searching for a mate.

Another rich memory greeted us one sleepy morning
When we tumbled out of bed
And found this delightful brunch awaiting us.

Rachel had set the table,
Prepared the meal,
And then simply waited for us
To discover the surprise.

Truly priceless memories found amongst these days.

Still, there's more . . .

More spinning dates.
More to learn.

Like how this unusual contraption
makes a skein of yarn into a tidy package,

Which can then be turned into something very special
(like this blankie Elizabeth has fashioned
for a soon-to-be-born little boy).

Miss Elizabeth has had especially busy hands these days.
Here you see her very first pie crust

And the mouthwatering dinner we enjoyed.
Trust me . . . it was soooooo rich and delicious!

With so much happening around our busy homestead,
We easily lose track of time . . .

But the maturation of these "chicks"
Reminds us that time does fly.

Similarly, some things never change,
As you can see that Miss "Freckles"
Still plays the loner.

"Company's Coming!" always delighted me as a child,
and the passing of years has not changed that one bit.

Getting together with a treasure trove of friends
Makes for a day overflowing
With the kind of wealth and blessings
That satisfy long after the meal has been consumed,
The table cleared,
And the dishes stowed tidily away.

Our dear Friend, Chef Karl,
"Laboured" away over a fully-laden BBQ

While his wife Lily and her sister Susan
Enjoyed catching up on all the happenings
Around here since our last get together.

Relaxed fun for all!
(You can't find that in a bank vault.)

As the sun slipped slowly away
We chatted by candlelight,
Wishing we could find a firefly
To add to our cache of beauty
In this gently, rich life.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've missed you!
But I can relate...
I think I finally have all my computer issues resolved for the most part and I am so grateful for that.
We have been roasting down here and will have summer-like weather until probably November but the weather is always changing so who knows...
Think of you often!
Especially when I am watching the West Ladies DVDs Ü

farmlady said...

Looks like it was a lovely day. Congratulations on the pie crust, it looks really good. Your children will have such great childhood memories.

Karen Deborah said...

Lovely and ya'll are having too much fun as usual. Great job on the pie crust E! Looks tender flaky and rolled out just right! My first pie crust could've been a Frisbee. It was tough as shoe leather and hard. We couldn't eat it. I didn't know anything about pie crust so I kneaded it. Whoops.

Flea said...

Everything looks so delightful! And omigoodness! I didn't realize that chickens grew so quickly!

Tricia said...

Your girls sound truly delightful. Enjoy the days while you can. God bless.

June said...

Debbie, you truely are a rich woman. These are precious images of a life well lived. That tree house looks like a great place for father and daughter to bond.
Hugs,
June

Laura ~Peach~ said...

wonderful stuff i love it!

joanne said...

such a tender, beautiful life that you have made for your beautiful family...wonderful memories indeed..;p

Becky said...

Wonderful! I had to resist licking my monitor... I simply MuSt have that "pie" recipe. The tree house looks too fun.

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

How can I share what I feel in my heart. Thank you for sharing the peace, beauty and your love of family, nature and friends.

Sharon Goemaere said...

Oh what a wonderful post Debbie!:-)Love~Sharon

FancyHorse said...

What a wonderful family life and happy times you decsribe! I've been away, too, so I can't honestly say I've missed you, but welcome back to both of us!

I will post about our trip as soon as I can get my thoughts in order. Meanwhile, I've been posting photos to Flickr:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/fancyhorse/

Joyce said...

What wonderful times at your place, Debbie.

Rachel is such a sweet hostess.

Elizabeth's pie crust looks truly delectable. :)

I enjoyed this virtual visit with you. <3

Werna Gail said...

Oh a tree house! please keep us posted as it comes along. I have always wanted one.Really enjoyed being invited to your place, it is always such fun. Is that a feed sack shirt Karl has on? too cool!
Thanks for sharing your blessings.

Debbie in CA : ) said...

Yes Gail, Karl's shirt is made from a 100 lb rice sack. I thought it was cool, too! : D

Scrappy quilter said...

What a lovely time. Your table looks so warm and inviting. And time spent spinning and learning new things...awesome.