Thursday, February 26, 2009

A Glimpse . . .

into my world.



Walk up the pathway to my cottage and you will be greeted
By a multitude of friendly little ones popping out to say hello.

Step inside and let the fire's glow warm you . . .

While the smell of freshly baked muffins
Entices you to sit for a spell.

Undoubtedly, we'll have tea . . .

. . . and a nibble from one of Rachel's latest culinary endeavors.

I will blush as you glance around and see
Books sprouting like mushrooms
In this cozy reading spot.

The blushing will become embarrassment
As you espy the cluttered counters.

(I never liked that "bar thing" from the beginning --
I just knew it spelled trouble!)


On into the kitchen you will discover the truth of:
"If you install stainless steel appliances they will come
. . . fingerprints, that is.

Matthew routinely inspects
To assure that the dishwasher functions
Despite the ultra-quiet feature that mums the sound.

(Thanks, son.)

Ah, I see Rachel has been playing with her food again.
(And sharp knives, too!)


I'm afraid you've missed Elizabeth as she attends classes daily 9-5.
Her door sports a Rachel Original proclaiming Elizabeth's Room.

The sweet optimism of my sunny Lydia
Shines from her bedside table,

. . . As well as atop her bed.
(The tiger cuddles with another Rachel creation.)

Just what has Rachel been up to these days?

Well, what does a 10-year-old do
After reading through the AMA Medical Encyclopedia?
She goes into practice, of course!

Herein lies Tigger
Undergoing radiation treatment for pancreatic cancer.
(I have that info straight from Dr. Rachel.) My personal favorite:
The Maternity Ward. : D

Alas, I see our time has slipped away and you must be on your way.
I walk you to the door and equip you with a hug for the road and an invite to return soon. Then I turn and begin the business of tidying up . . .


But I stop when I catch a glimpse of my rescued sprig-of-a-fuchsia (snapped off in an annoying blunder). After a spell in a bath it rooted, then bedded down in the windowsill pot, wherein it has rewarded me with buds upon buds over the course of the winter. Just the other day I noticed it sported three new buds . . .

. . . which have all too soon became blooming beauty.

Realizing how quickly time passes . . . I sit down for another cup of tea and pick up a book, only to be interrupted by a sweet young one with a question. I smile and wink at the bud in the window. Thanks for reminding me.

Glance around and enJOY your day, sweet friends. ; )




PhotoStory Friday
Hosted by Cecily and MamaGeek

30 comments:

MamaGeek @ Works For Us said...

Truer words could not have been spoken! I love that first shot!

imbeingheldhostage said...

This. was. so. stinking. fun! Seriously, I was enjoying walking through your home and then... katie melua started singing to me, I felt like I was home... oh, I am home, I felt like our homes merged for a minute.

:-) back at you and returning to my bed. I hope I didn't share my sore throat with you while I was here.

Michelle said...

Debbie I loved this post! Your home is definitely a home with wonderful smelling food, sweet remnants of kids having fun...a warm fireplace. Who wouldn't want to step into your home! Thank you for the tour. :)

Kat said...

Your world looks and sounds absolutely charming. :)

Becky said...

Yowza, easy on the paprika dahling ;-)

I love the hospital... oh poor Tigger... who knew?

Lovely little fuchsia that buds just for you deb, and winks back.

Wayne said...

great pictures and the food looks so yummi.

lsnellings said...

Thanks for letting me traipse through your house! Great post!

skywind said...

See you make the cookies, I have a mouth drooling with greed. (Smile) This study is clutter. Dishwasher really bright. (Smile) the best kids a little further away from the knife. Your daughter's bedroom gives a feeling of innocent and naive. Flowers have opened, the spring has quietly come. (Smile) Hehehe .....

http://eyesinkaleidoscope.blogspot.com/
http://fymtyh.blogspot.com/

Pam Emmons said...

Thanks for the glimpse into your life!

Cecily R said...

What a lovely world you have!!

P.S. My counters are WAY more cluttered than yours!

scrappysue said...

that is a sweet, sweet post

gail said...

Thanks for the cuppa and the visit .
See you next time.

Blessings Gail

Chris said...

Terrific perspective and attitude -- take the time to live life!

Supercool Hotmama said...

What a happy little escape into your quiet, orderly world. I love the little hospital your Rachel has created!

A Crafty Mom said...

Beautiful!!

I'm just loving that maternity ward - that's the cutest thing ever.

Great photos, they've really created a mood!

Leah said...

Can I come to your house?!

Unknown said...

I loved my visit! Your Rachel sounds like quite the girl!

tiarastantrums said...

what a cute look into your day!

Carrie and Troy Keiser said...

Thanks for the relaxing visit to your cottage.

Janet said...

Thanks for stopping by Debbie! I had to peek over the fence and see what your world was like - and boy did I want to jump the fence and come in! So sweet, so charming and so very inspiring....thank you for the visit!

Janette said...

Thank you for the invite! I being at home at your house!

Susie said...

CUTE! I really felt like I walking through your house~very cool. I'll be over shortly;)

kylie said...

hi deb,
it is so long since i have commented here ! do you have coffee? it's ok, i drink tea too...

your house is just like the one i wish i had.....no, actually, it is a tidier version of the one i do have.
the fuschia is quite lovely, so delicate

have a lovely weekend
k

kayerj said...

I'll see you soon. I had a delightful afternoon.

Grandma Tillie's Bakery said...

Ahhh, how nice to visit your home this evening. The muffins were fabulous and the fire was just right. Tell Matthew I know how he feels--I'm always wondering if the durn things are actually working!

Anonymous said...

Time passed to fast in your loving company, and with your daughter's food.
I forgot time and sat down with a book, I met your son and had a great time with hime......

.....nice to be with you my dear friend.

Sit-N-Chat said...

How I enjoyed the visit. It was a "red letter day" as my aunt said when we came for a visit in her home. I love seeing the activities of your Rachel. What a fun daughter. My own daughter was always so cheerful and still is. She has always greeting us with the sun all over her face. And it looks like the patients were content.

We have some chilly weather but it is still February after all.

I hope you are refreshed and blessed as you worship tomorrow.

Jennifer

Joyce said...

I really enjoyed my 'virtual visit' at your place! Thanks!

Ruth MacC said...

I have never heard of photostory friday but am keen to do it. I just loved your post. Your daughter is very typical of me as a girl:-)

Mim said...

Debbie
THanks for the glimpses into your family life.
Family.. cherish.. hold ...love