Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Respite Wednesday

~~ A Quiet Knowing Christmas ~~


I just love the cozy setting that becomes forced upon our gathering room when the Christmas tree takes up its place in front of the window. In summertime we live out of doors and when we finally come in we sprawl and drape ourselves about the furnishings with pool-soaked exhaustion, but only for a moment, as the black summer's night sprinkled with myriad twinkling stars beckons us back out to look up in wonder, and then dance blithely under the merry paper lanterns swinging from each nearby tree. But come fall we draw indoors a bit more, gazing out windows at the be-jewelled splendor of Autumn's last waltz. When the chill wind of winter blows we huddle near the fire, nestle down into the downy-pillowed sofas, and reach for a wrap to snuggle under as we balance cocoa and book before the dancing fire.

Though our winter be short compared to that of my northernmost friends, we enjoy each moment without complaint. Even now, as we have all dug to the bottom of chests in search of fluffy footwear, we chatter with excitement about the forecasted snow possibilities. Thick hearty stews laced with earthy root vegetables bubble merrily on the stove and yeasty accompaniments rise under cottony coverlets. Winter lies just around the corner and we have thrown wide our hearts to welcome the chilly season home again.

Daily I devote a string of quiet moments to prayer and soulful reading.


These days I have chosen books in celebration of the forthcoming Noel. My latest reads include Ruth Bell Graham's "A Quiet Knowing Christmas," a delightful mix of Graham-family traditions, historical information, foreign customs, backgrounds of stories and hymns, and mouthwatering recipes perfect for treating one's family. Along with that I am reading through Chuck Swindoll's "A Bethlehem Christmas," a re-telling of the Christmas event through first-person narrative of those in the moment. Richly researched and gently relayed . . . aaaah, I never tire of hearing the Christmas Story. My daily time in Scripture this year finds me more in Isaiah than in Luke or Matthew, but oh the treasures I have found in the foretelling of the Great Event. My heart sings with joy as I journey along the pilgrim's path to the lonely crib of wonder. Gloria, in excelsis Deo!

Over the years I have collected a vast array of reading material unlocking thoughts and histories and joys of the advent season. I gather them together and place them within easy reach for the casual reader, and provide a nesting spot with facile access to teapot and cup for those of us more inclined to hunker down for a deep read. Footstools and quilts complete the invitation. So many come and enjoy at the fount of knowledge spilling forth in our "family room."

I invite you, this Respite Wednesday, to find a quiet spot, fill a cup of warmth, and make a moment of quiet for knowing . . .

enJOY, my sweet friends. : )

* * *

Thou wilt shew me the path of life:
In thy presence is fulness of joy;
At thy right hand there are pleasures for evermore.

Psalm 16:11

11 comments:

Karen Deborah said...

beautiful, I'll be right over and I like Earl Grey.

dawn klinge said...

Most certainly, I'll plan on doing just that! You've made the prospect of curling up under a blanket with a book and a cup of tea sound quite enticing.

Laura ~Peach~ said...

some day.... I will have to sit in that comfy cozy room and read till my eyes fall out :) its absolutely delightful!
Hugs Laura

tiarastantrums said...

gorgeous- my house is too noisy to have a nice sitting area like that!!

Brenda@CoffeeTeaBooks said...

I just had to come over and see YOUR cozy Christmas. :)

Michelle said...

How cozy looking your quiet spot looks. You already saw mine. :)

FancyHorse said...

Thank you, what an inviting idea! Your family room looks welcoming and cozy.

sukipoet said...

Beautiful room with all those books. Your special collection sounds wonderful. Yes, a quiet contemplation is just what I need. Blessings, Suki

Ruth MacC said...

I love resding, I always have and now tha I am saved, I am very glad to love to read my Bible.

The lego, well that's a long story... We didn't really know just how much lego Sean had until wse packed it all up to give away.

I know it sounds too tough, but he was very, very bold and so as his dicipline we gave it away to the childrens hospital. I am not sure why I took the photo. I was just shocked at how much we had spoiled him without fully realising we did it.

It is hard to get the balance right. He loves toys and I love him to have them and so it can become a terrible circle. But God is long suffering and patient with us and keeps giving us second chances.

NAVAL LANGA said...

I have read some of your posts. I liked your writing style. I would like to revisit the same.

If you like short stories and paintings, then a short visit to my blogs would be a good idea.

Naval Langa

Anonymous said...

You make me want to stop everyhting I'm doing and read. Such an enticing post, you are so good with language.