Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Gaining Wait in 2013


Today I awoke and stood still.  The quiet house whispered, “All is well.”  After so many days of merry-making laced with going here-, doing this-, making that-I greeted today with NOTHING on my agenda.

Naturally, the house and family ALWAYS offer a solution to the age-old ponderance:  “What shall I do with this unscheduled moment?”  But, today I stepped beyond hearing range of the To Do List and settled into the lull of a place. 

And here I sit . . . simply sitting (and sipping tea, of course).

The Christmas tree twinkles over there; the Nativity shines over here; Christmas extends its reach to January 6th for us.  We will have yet another wonderful celebration on the 6th, but for today it is quiet.  We are quiet.  I am quiet.

So, as many (most, probably) have trundled away the tree and set about tackling resolves to de-clutter, de-stress, de-weight, I slip back into the lull of Christmas that enveloped the manger scene even as the wise men made their way to the blessed meeting. 

I guess you could say I’ve decided to turn the tables and gain weight wait this year.  And in this waiting my expectations grow and delight me with the prospect of meeting, greeting, and embracing the Christ child; for surely, at least one of those wise men scooped that babe up in his arms and played the “coo-ing” game complete with smiles of pure joy and baby-game conversations like, “Oh aren’t you beautiful?  Yes, you are.  You’re so sweet I could just eat you up!” and then proceeded to nibble on those newborn toes with delight.    

[Okay – maybe not the nibbling-toes part.  That probably would have been in the recorded version if women accompanied these learned ones.  But, I digress . . .]

After all, God came to man as a baby – fully God/fully human – and who can resist an adorable baby?  Being fully God did not erase that heavenly “baby smell” each birth brings; nor did it envelop him in a corona-like force field that kept mere mortals at bay.  As in his later life, so in his birth, Jesus came to be embraced.

In these quiet moments before meals commence and dishes stack, I simply sit in this lull . . . in this wait . . . and find something still and small and special. 


 And he said, Go forth, and stand upon the mount before the Lord
And, behold, the Lord passed by, 
 And a great and strong wind rent the mountains, 
And brake in pieces the rocks before the Lord
But the Lord was not in the wind: 
And after the wind an earthquake; 
But the Lord was not in the earthquake:   
And after the earthquake a fire; 
But the Lord was not in the fire: 
And after the fire 
a still small voice.

1 Kings 19:11, 12



 I hope to gain a LOT of wait in 2013. 




 

3 comments:

Kat said...

What a beautiful, beautiful post. I think we should all gain some wait this year. :)
I haven't taken any of my decorations down yet either. ;)
Happy New Year!

Becky said...

Oh how I have missed your posts full of warmth, whimsy and linguistic treasures.

Karen Deborah said...

love these thoughts and ditto-- me too. Jesus came to be embraced and when we are busy we just don't.