Sunday, November 8, 2009

Riding the Wind

Recently I received a strange and unexpected gift: Pain.

Episodes of blogging, online newsreading, email composing, and even old-fashioned pen-to-paper journal writing result in shooting pains up my arm that settle as a dull ache in my elbow. The right hand fields the greater affliction, of course, but both arms carry the painful resonance at times.

A gift? You might question.

Yes, a gift.

Pain . . . that gift that nobody asks for, yet every time it enters my life I come away with some new understanding or acquisition that changes my life remarkably.

Pain: The motivator to change, accept, adapt as fits the situation.

I trust this episode will be no different.

For me writing is like breathing . . . I must do it. Copious journals and rambling blog posts attest to my natural inclination to put thoughts into words scrawled in a place that holds them for longer than the breath a voice carries them upon when they become conversation. The spoken word evaporates or changes into remembrance (sometimes incorrectly) over time, whereas words etch a thought (right or wrong) that lasts intact.

Alas, this delightful dalliance of blogging and soul-refreshing exercise in journaling must be laid aside for a time. Healing must happen.

What will I do? What new activity will fill the moments previously blogged?

Aha! Therein lies the adventure, and I eagerly await it!


In the act of creativity,
the artist lets go the self-control
which he normally clings to
and is open to ride the wind.


~~ Madeleine L’Engle ~~
Walking on Water (81)


And so, I unharness the strictures that cause pain this day, spread my arms wide, trust that wings of delight will sprout fully, and take off to ride the wind. I anticipate soaring over new territories and discovering new ways to create and share and enJOY it all.

When I return (and surely I will, though like a famous Hobbit drafted into service, I know not when I shall cross this bloggy home’s threshold once again), I shall come bearing gifts gleaned from the quest. More than pictures and retelling of tales, I hope to bring a fresh beacon of insight worthy of sharing.

As for today . . . I must be off this computer and about the business of relying on wings so that my arms can rest and rejuvenate.

Be well, sweet friends. I carry you in my heart and prayers until I return to sweep off the welcome mat and put on the kettle once again.


. . . and the wind gently blows . . .

. . . newly unfurled feathers ruffle . . .

Whoosh!

16 comments:

Judith said...

I shall miss you - there is healing in the wings.

Tricia said...

Praying that you heal quickly. I will miss you while you are away. God bless.

Linda said...

I will miss you too. Come back soon!

Scrappy quilter said...

Oh how I will miss you however I totally understand. I pray that you will heal quickly. Hugs sweet friend.

Laura ~Peach~ said...

missing you already but will be here patiently waiting for your return and totally joyful when you do! :D

farmlady said...

Take care of yourself. Exercise, walk, use aspercreme and say your prayers. We will wait for your return.

Kelley said...

Praying that you are pain-free soon!
Think of you often...
Wishing you oodles of joy today ♥

sukipoet said...

I'm glad you are taking care of yourself. I also have experienced pain in left hand from too much computer usuage and resting is the only way to heal. be well, suki

Unknown said...

oh, I love your heart. I undertand and pray for your healing!

Karen Deborah said...

Well hurry up, get some carpel tunnel wrist braces and some type of ergonomic pad for your wrists to rest on when you type. Or pick up the telie...I have no patience for this. Gee, imagine why?

Full of Grace said...

I must tell you I will miss you so much while you are gone...

I had the same terrible pain when I gave birth to Samuel. It hurt so much. I think most of it was because of the way you hold newborns close to you. In any case, I had to wear wrist braces while writing, or holding him to alleviate the pain (you can get them most anywhere)

Please come back as soon as you are feeling better.....You have become a dear friend!

joanne said...

thinking of you as you cross this ocean of stormy days...Blessings...jj

Anonymous said...

I began having pain like you describe too. Then I needed to get out my crochet needles that had been put away for a few years to make a new grandbaby a blanket. Lo and behold! As long as I crochet 3-4 times a week for about 30 minutes at least...no more significant pain!! If you crochet or knit, I strongly recommend it. (I love it when things happen this way and then it costs no money for a doctor!! Also, as we drive by Michael's weekly, I hop out and go get a skein of yarn with the weekly coupon...also drag hubby into store to use "his" coupon!! Heehee...)

Elizabeth

FancyHorse said...

I'm sorry you're having pain, and I hope you will be better soon. I didn't know about it until I read Gary's post just now.

imbeingheldhostage said...

Oh NO! Blogging causes pain? I do hope you recover quickly!! *hugs*

Joyce said...

I hope and pray that you heal quickly, Debbie.

From reading your blog, it seems to me that you do a great job of living life, not just writing about life. I enjoy the beauty of your writing, too. The Lord knows what is best for you just now, though.

Be well!